- Movies on Friday rather than babysitting
- Not being so drained from five days of school and making it past 12:45 a.m.
- Being able to watch Saturday morning cartoons while enjoying a good bowl of peaches and cream Quaker Oats oatmeal.
- Not hearing my mother constantly remind me that if I want to go out this weekend I better complete my chores.
- Shopping all weekend without regretting having spent 95% of my allowance by the time Monday comes.
- Skipping all the lines in the hair and nail salon. Who wants to be stuck in there on a Saturday morning?
- Completing my homework BEFORE Monday morning.
- Sleeping Sunday away without any distractions.
Hi it’s La’Saen.
Emily and I have been given a new task, which is to create a youth council for DTE. A youth council would give young people in Red Hook (and other places in Brooklyn where DTE programs) a chance to inform us what we can do to help them in any way- offering new programming, services, or even providing space for their own projects.
I’m hoping that this youth council will help me develop my skills in planning events, and that it will help DTE respond better to the needs of the young people in its community.
My name is La’Sean Brooks. I am a student at South Brooklyn Community High School. I’ve been an intern here at Dance Theatre Etcetera now for about a month. I found out about D.T.E because of a program taught at my high school named Theatre Works. I intend on continuing my internship here until the end of the school year, which is also when I plan on graduating.
I basically started my internship because I know that soon I’ll be starting college and I wanted to be prepared for the real world. As an intern you get a lot of duties that can help prepare for that. This is my second internship. My first was for the Obama “Brooklyn for Barack” campaign, which involved a lot of the same things I do over here at D.T.E . Before I started interning, I didn’t really know too much on how to go about helping others out- especially not adults. I wasn’t used to being sort of in charge and not being treated as teenager. At my D.T.E internship, some things I’ve done were help with the annual benefit , look after the area while other programs were occurring, and day-to-day maintenance. Here at Dance Theatre Etcetera they treat me as an equal and no less .
Some things about me – I plan on attending college in the Fall of 2009 studying Communication. I love to laugh…I love listening to my ipod, hanging with my friends and…I am very friendly and I love and have no problem with trying new things.